tH e NEw BLoc kADERs

Started by bitewerksMTB, August 13, 2019, 04:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I could not find a dedicated thread on TNB so here it is & I have a question. Is the material on the "Pulp Sessions" LP the same tracks that are on the cd released years ago by Robot Records? I've been trying to find a distro that has the LP and the "P.S. II" cd but now I'm thinking I may not need them unless the material is different than the five tracks on the Robot release.

If anyone has a clue, please chime in.

impulse manslaughter

Pulp CD on Robot is different. It includes the Pulp 7" + a few other Organum/TNB collaborations (Wrack & Raze). The recent Pulp sessions LP & Pulp Sessions 2 CD includes longer outtakes from the session for the Pulp 7". But I wouldn't be surprised if Wrack & Raze are also outtakes or remixes from the same session so there might be a big overlap..

Bloated Slutbag

The Pulp Sessions II is completely different from the original TNB & Organum Pulp, at least based on this sample from menstrualrecordings. I'd guess this is TNB only, without Organum. So no heavy electronic drone to complement slash obscure the shambolic clattering mess. It actually reminds me somewhat of some of the material on the more recent TNB & Artbreakhotel collab. I haven't really been keeping up with TNB so I wonder if the same material has been recycled quite a number of times? (This would also be consistent with the Organum MO.)

Incidentally, I was also originally unclear as to what was contained on TPS & TPSII. I was ready to squeeze the trigger anyway, but hesitated when I read on discogs that Gillham is credited with mix and edit. edit Not to impugn  Gillham's mixing and editing skills, just that a new mix-edit of original "sessions" seemed to kind of defeat the purpose of the release. (And the Pulp reissue on Robot already contained three unreleased versions of Pulp, which sound much like the original.) But now I have to confess... the sample is seriously starting to re-trigger my ass.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

bitewerksMTB

Just gave "Pulp" a  listen & if the Menstrual sample is the sources used (but mixed/edited differently), it's amazing how much Organum added to it.

For some reason, TNB/Organum "Salute" is one I've overlooked so listening to it right now & it's interesting. So far, the usual sounds are all there but it's not really noisy. The cd on Robot has no artwork or anything. Just a blue disc in a clear case, which, is stupid.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 14, 2019, 08:01:36 PM
Just gave "Pulp" a  listen & if the Menstrual sample is the sources used (but mixed/edited differently), it's amazing how much Organum added to it.

I don't think this can be overstated. But here let me try: Pulp, the TNB & Organum original, is the single most important piece of audio committed to a recording medium. (How'd I do?) My entry was via Pt. 2, as released on the seminal Ohrenschrauben comp. This comp was a revelation, and not necessarily for offerings like The Poo Poo Song. No, it was all down to the untitled two minutes and forty-one seconds leading off the flip side (only much later revealed to be Pt. 2 of Pulp). Darkly majestic, industrial strength, noise nightmare, deep cauldrons, of boiling, blood sweat tears, impossibly dense, sultry, so sweetly suggestive of some sickly claustrophobic harsh purity without ever needing to actually be harsh (though if such necessity were manifest, listen no further than Wrack). Just the kind of thing I hoped to hear, but so seldom did, when I would encounter the term "industrial music". This was the shit, the brown barometer against which so much else would be measured, and found lacking.

Compare with Ohrenschrauben opener, My Cock's On Fire. Here you have this long, throbbing piece of...stand-up comedy masquerading as "power electronics". (I picture the good chap, standing in front of the mirror, mic in one hand, the other hand otherwise occupied, red-faced, hollering at the rather sad and uncooperative object of attention as though willing the poor bugger to life...who knew assertiveness training could be this much fun?) Well, there's no comparison.

So yes, amazing how much Organum added (and just as importantly, subtracted). But I hasten to add that the equation likely cuts both ways. Check out the original Pulp by Organum (according to discogs each of the nine copies distributed is unique) and reflect that the combination of the two, TNB & Organum, supremely exceeds the sum of the parts (on this occasion at least).

Here by the way is the menstrualrecordings sample of The Pulp Sessions lp. Not I'd expect sufficiently different to warrant acquisition of both (TPS & TPS II). But think of the possibilities. If Organum were to reissue Pulp (or better all nine said versions) we would then have the means to generate infinite iterations of our own private Pulp party. I'd invite y'all if you promised, on principle, to reject it.
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

My minor issue with  early TNB work is that 'shoe on basketball court' squeaking. It's kinda annoying.

"Ohrenschrauben" is an absolute classic but it landed in my hands, maybe, not as early as yours? I can't remember what I heard first from TNB. They were not my main influence on using metal. That came from Mr. Jeph Jerman as he gave me the guts of a guitar with the pickups, volume, & tone knob then someone else gave me a metal disc so then the scraping began... My first TNB may have been that tape RRRon did, "Even Anti-Art is Art...".

Or it was "The Final Recordings" LP. 1990 sounds about right. Maybe.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 15, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
My minor issue with  early TNB work is that 'shoe on basketball court' squeaking. It's kinda annoying.

"Ohrenschrauben" is an absolute classic but it landed in my hands, maybe, not as early as yours? I can't remember what I heard first from TNB. They were not my main influence on using metal. That came from Mr. Jeph Jerman as he gave me the guts of a guitar with the pickups, volume, & tone knob then someone else gave me a metal disc so then the scraping began... My first TNB may have been that tape RRRon did, "Even Anti-Art is Art...".

Which, of course, contains Pulp Pt. 1! The original 7inch may be sufficiently rare as to fetch over 200 smackers on discogs, but thanks to these comps the essential audio has at least made the rounds. (As it should.)

The previous point concerning who may have contributed most to the final Pulp product is still I think worth dwelling on. Especially if you've so hopelessly obsessed over it like certain sorry sods I know. Comparable sounds have emerged more often than not from the Organum side. Most recently on Die Letzte Musik Vor Dem Krieg, which sounds to these 'holes rather like a heavier, or more lugubrious, answer to Pulp (plus piano, on one of the sides). Could even be a heavier, more lugubrious mix of Pulp. Other Organum that could also have made use of the same or similar materials-

Organum 7inch 1998
Raw
Crusade

And to a lesser extent-

Feldzug / Stumpf
Gloria
Die Hennen Zahne
(title track)

The closest TNB has got is on TNB  & Organum Graben- which could contend with Die Letzte Musik Vor Dem Krieg for Pulp-y-ness.

As far as TNB & Organum, Salute has always registered in these 'holes as the least successful. Mainly cause all them lovely metals are so drowned in drone. It's a good drone, a grim-faced dirge-y sorta drone, but one that could I think have been strategically mixed to better effect. (Unless of course it is in fact yet another mix of the same materials that went into Pulp. Which I've yet to rule out.)

As for the squeak. Funny but that has always conveyed for me a certain necessary "industrial" flavor. Overworked protesting metals are in many ways the be all and end all of it all. Plus there's this thing about "annoying" sounds. Perhaps they catch the ear- they irritate- precisely because they penetrate so excruciatingly deep, in earhole. At some level, this is the be all and end all of- harsh- noise. But I do think I understand that by annoying bitewerks probably means it in a literal sense, as in, um, annoying. Which I could read as dimishes the awesomeness of an otherwise great work. Got no argument there.
And take you for a drag

WCrap

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on August 15, 2019, 06:17:46 PM
So yes, amazing how much Organum added (and just as importantly, subtracted).

TNB wouldn't be much without David Jackman and Andrew Chalk anyway. If you listen to Ferial Confine you'll find everything you love and always attributed to TNB.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: WCrap on August 17, 2019, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on August 15, 2019, 06:17:46 PM
So yes, amazing how much Organum added (and just as importantly, subtracted).

If you listen to Ferial Confine you'll find everything you love and always attributed to TNB.

Well, yes and no. Any serious working through of Pulp-related strands would need to include Ferial Confine. (And with reference to the Ferial Confine and similar thread, these strands could potentially take the worker down quite the number of rabbit holes.) But the overlap, at least with Pulp, is less clear- or at least less blatant. And goes on for a quite a bit longer than FC existed. I'm talking about Organum well into the 2000s that could be using the same or similar sources, things that occasionally sound as though they were alternate or updated mixes of Pulp.

Now, leaving Pulp out of it for the moment. No doubt as to the importance, but of the current faves... I'd put TNB Est Mort (with FC) against Wrack (with Organum). The jury is still out on this one.
And take you for a drag

impulse manslaughter

Actually, I think the Pulp 7" is close to perfection but I love most of the (solo) New Blockaders stuff that I have as well. I also love old Organum but I stopped buying his stuff when it all started to sound/look the same. I just have one Andrew Chalk CD so I can't really comment on his work..

bitewerksMTB

How is the LP with Putrefier, "Schleifmittelbögen"? I haven't found a sample online so far. If it sounds like that "Wolf Hour" 7", that'd be awesome.

I need to pick up the Ferial Confine LP on Fusetron along with the Sir Ashleigh Grove cd...

Zeno Marx

I know most of you like to own the releases, but if you're curious about Ferial Confine, the aforementioned blog has some of that as well.

http://dieordiy2.blogspot.com/search/label/Ferial%20Confine

and TNB

http://dieordiy2.blogspot.com/search/label/New%20Blockaders
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

CMSFoundation

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 18, 2019, 10:26:21 PM
How is the LP with Putrefier, "Schleifmittelbögen"? I haven't found a sample online so far. If it sounds like that "Wolf Hour" 7", that'd be awesome.

I need to pick up the Ferial Confine LP on Fusetron along with the Sir Ashleigh Grove cd...

If you don't like the squeaky gym-shoe sound, you probably won't like "Schleifmittelbögen." It's very in the vein of the first TNB record, emphasis on junk/squeaky sounds. Putrefier seems to hang back a bit, or maybe seems to be editing the material rather than contributing a lot. I like it, but if you're looking for "Wolf Hour" type stuff, it isn't here.

I'm told that if you get the special edition with the CDr, the collaboration favors Putrefier's sound and is a lot more ferocious. 

Johann

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 18, 2019, 10:26:21 PM

The Putrefier TNB was my intro to both projects, I found it to be throughly enjoyable...reminds me for of Changez than of later "harsher" stuff...I recall it hand a lot of rolling sounds on it, trash and field recordings. I pulled it out a few months back but like most TNB it's particularly hard to describe (which I assume is why it always sounds fresh hah)...

That's also really interesting the CD-R might be different, I never sought it out in case they were just identical...can anyone confirm the difference?

Also, what is this Wolf Hour 7", sounds intriguing but I can find any info